- Date of Foundation: 2 May 1980
- Founder: Prof. Polydoro Ernani de São Thiago
- Name: Hospital Universitário Professor Polydoro Ernani de São Thiago
Construction works began in 1964 at the Trindade University Campus, but the University Hospital only became real in 1980, after an intense struggle of students, faculty and the community to obtain resources from federal authorities for its inauguration in May 1980.
At first, the hospital beds from the medical clinic and the pediatric clinic were installed, together with their respective outpatient clinics. Later, the Surgery Center, the Surgical Clinic I and the Adult ICU were activated, followed by the Maternity Unit in 1996.
Over the following years, the consolidation of the primary outpatient service allowed the University Hospital to complete its structure, which is divided into four main basic areas: Medical Clinic, Surgical Clinic, Pediatrics and Tocogynecology.
The Tocogynecology, the Obstetric Center and the Neonatology Units were implemented in October 1995, after a long period of preparation of human resources, equipment and intervention techniques seeking to achieve high levels of technical modernization and humanization of care. Today, the HU Maternity Unit is nationally recognized as a center of excellence in obstetric care.
Another important feature of HU is the 24/7 emergency care that serves adults and children in separate units, and which together receive an average of 400 patients per day. The emergency services receive great pressure due to the high demand of the population who cannot find care at municipal or state health centers and units, and who sees HU as a public and free medical center of high technical competency, humanized care and resolubility.
Working in the three levels of care: primary, secondary and tertiary, HU is also a reference in the state of Santa Catarina in complex pathologies, meeting a great demand in the areas of cancer and major surgeries in several specialties.
Its medical staff – composed of faculty members from the School of Health Science, who use HU as a center for teaching and research, as well as of doctors and other highly qualified professionals from the fields of Nursing, Pharmacy, Biochemistry, Nutrition, Social Work, Dentistry, Psychology and Biomedical Engineering – and the considerable interest in clinical research and practice grant UFSC great social and community strength and prestige.
Most prominent teaching, research and assistance area:
- Maternity unit, due to its humanized assistance;
- Baby-Friendly Hospital;
- Safe maternity (ongoing process);
- Capital Criança [Capital of the Child] Program;
- Medical internship in Community Health Programs and in the Family Health Program (PSF).
Curricular Internships offered by the University Hospital:
- Nursing – UFSC (Medical Clinic, Surgical Clinic, Foundations of Nursing, Management);
- Nursing – UNIVALI, UNISUL and UFPeL;
- Internship in Public Health (Peripheral Health Centers);
- Supervised Internship in Library Science;
- Supervised Internship in Biomedical Engineering;
- Supervised Internship in Clinical Analysis;
- Supervised Internship in Pharmacy;
- Supervised Internship in Nutrition/Dietetics;
- Supervised Internship in Psychology;
- Supervised Internship in Social Work;
- Medical Internship (Medical Clinic, Surgical Clinic, Pediatrics, Tocogynecology);
- Supervised Internship in Hemotherapy.
Educational laboratories at HU:
- Laboratory of Pathological Anatomy and General Pathology;
- Anatomical Museum;
- Laboratory of Clinical Analysis;
- Laboratory of Cardiorespiratory Resuscitation;
- Laboratory of Operative Technique and Experimental Surgery;
- Laboratory of Dietetic Technique and Nutrition;
- Laboratory of Sanitizers;
- Laboratory of Pharmacognosy;
- Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Chemistry;
- Laboratory of Pharmacotechnique;
- Laboratory of Cosmetology;
- Laboratory of Mycology;
- Laboratory of Cytogenetics.
Classrooms and amphitheaters at HU:
- Amphitheater (111 places)………………………………………….01
- Classrooms (20 – 70 places)……………………………………….13